The Germania Society, when founded in 1866, was really an association of Turners (Gymnasts). For quite a few years the exercise activity took place in one of the Schiller Park Buildings. In late 19th century the Turners merged with the Germania Gesang Verein.
Originally the Germania provided a home for new immigrants to feel welcomed and socialize while learning the new language of their adopted land. Over the years the Germania has made it its mission to retain, promote and disseminate all that is good about German culture. A major component of this mission is the practice and performance of German song. Our choruses participate and support public events throughout the year in appreciation for the community’s support.